Monday, June 29, 2009

The Turkey Burgers from Mar-a-Lago


Last summer I was at home watching tv, when I happened upon Oprah's summer favorite things. I don't really watch Oprah but the favorite things episodes are always pretty funny because the studio audience gets really crazy. Well, on that episode she had various portable fans and pareos and whatever, but the one thing that stuck out was the turkey burgers that she is obsessed with that she ate at Donald Trump's private club at Mar-a-Lago in Palm Beach, Florida. In case you don't know, Mar-a-Lago is the Marjorie Merrieweather Post estate that Donald Trump has more recently turned into a fancy country club. Anyway, Oprah had Donald and his club's head chef on her show so he could make the burgers on the show. When O took a bite of that burger, her eyes were rolling up into her head and she was going to that special place that she (and others of us) goes to when she has achieved gastronomical nirvana. Well, I figured, "Bitch has eaten some burgers in her life, so this one must really be good."
Fast forward a year, we're going out to our share in Cherry Grove and it's our turn to cook and I remembered the Mar-a-Lago turkey burgers. Get the recipe here. They're a little labor intensive (as far as burgers go) and they have a few very specific ingredients (which I modified due to what I could find i.e. I didn't use Major Grey's Chutney I used Geeta's) but the result is truly out of this world! All of my friends were experiencing a similar eyes rolling into the head kind of reaction. We served the burgers with sliced avocado, bacon, mayonnaise, Sriracha sauce, and more chutney. No cheese needed. I believe 5 of us had second burgers.
I've been asked to make them again next weekend, and this time to make a double batch. Nuff said?

No comments:

Post a Comment