Thursday, June 18, 2009

Haagen Dazs Five Ice Cream


So it hasn't really gotten warm yet (at least not in the northeast and midwest) but, for me, the first sign of summer is my almost daily craving for ice cream. For years I've been a buying all of those chunky flavors with the silly names, but a few weeks ago my colleague Alix turned me on to this new introduction from Haagen Dazs called Five. It's called five because all of the flavors literally have five ingredients: milk, cream, sugar, eggs and whatever the flavor is. The seven different flavors are vanilla bean, milk chocolate, ginger, mint, passion fruit, coffee and brown sugar. So, to be clear, the fifth ingredient in all of these flavors is the flavor itself (i.e. vanilla). There's no guar gum, there's no carageenan, there's no high fructose corn syrup, no maltodextrin, no preservatives, just the things you would put in ice cream if you had the time to make it yourself. Sidenote: I am a little disturbed with myself for knowing, off the top of my head, all of the weird ingredients in normal ice cream...but nevermind. So far I've tasted the vanilla, chocolate, ginger, coffee and brown sugar (Hey! I've been jogging! Shut it!). And I have to say that I like the vanilla and the chocolate the best. In fact the chocolate brings me back to what I remember ice cream tasting like when I was a kid. Who needs the chocolate covered, caramel filled, peanut butter flavored pretzels floating in malted brazil nut ice cream with a fudge brownie ripple when you can have the flavor of childhood?

No comments:

Post a Comment