Saturday, July 11, 2009

God Help The Girl


So today we went to Great Adventure for our friend Chris's 30th birthday which was loads of fun, BUT... on our way home (we were driving with our friends Paul, Anthony and Darren in Paul's car) and Paul played this new album which was written by Stuart Murdoch (Belle and Sebastian) with different female and male singers which tell the story of a movie which they are going to make next year. I was blown away.

I used to be a big fan of Belle and Sebastian but I grew tired of the peppiness, and they just got too popular. I went to a concert and I was really annoyed with the crowd and Murdoch kept talking, instead of playing, and it all felt a bit twee. But I have to say this project is great. There was an article by Stephen Rodrick in the NY Times Magazine a couple of weeks ago. There are a couple of songs that get a little precious, but in general it's fantastic. Listen to the song "Musicians, Please Take Heed", below, and wait for the hook.



It's like the Mamas and the Papas, Abba, and early Marianne Faithful rolled into one.
I just downloaded it from iTunes.
I'm going to listen to this album a lot more.


Here's the official video from the song "Come Monday Night". Sweet.



I'm curious to see what the movie will be like.

No comments:

Post a Comment